Carl Edward Sagan was an American astronomer, cosmologist, astrophysicist, astrobiologist, author, science popularizer, and science …
Carl Edward Sagan was an American astronomer, cosmologist, astrophysicist, astrobiologist, author, science popularizer, and science communicator in astronomy and other natural sciences. He is best known for his work as a science popularizer and communicator. His best known scientific contribution is research on extraterrestrial life, including experimental demonstration of the production of amino acids from basic chemicals by radiation. Sagan assembled the first physical messages sent into space: the Pioneer plaque and the Voyager Golden Record, universal messages that could potentially be understood by any extraterrestrial intelligence that might find them. Sagan argued the now accepted hypothesis that the high surface temperatures of Venus can be attributed to and calculated using the greenhouse effect.
- Lived: Nov 09, 1934 - Dec 20, 1996 (age 62)
- Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
- Spouse: Ann Druyan (m. 1981 - 1996) · Linda Salzman Sagan (m. 1968 - 1981) · Lynn Margulis(m. 1957 - 1965)
- Founded: Search for extraterrestrial intelligence · The Planetary Society · SETI Institute
- Children: Nick Sagan (Son) · Dorion Sagan (Son) · Sasha Sagan (Daughter) · Jeremy Sagan (Son)· Samuel Sagan (Son)
- Education: University of Chicago · Rahway High School