Richard Franklin Lennox Thomas Pryor was an American comedian, actor, and social critic. Pryor was known for uncompromising exam…
Richard Franklin Lennox Thomas Pryor was an American comedian, actor, and social critic. Pryor was known for uncompromising examinations of racism and topical contemporary issues, which employed colorful vulgarities and profanity, as well as racial epithets. He reached a broad audience with his trenchant observations and storytelling style. He is widely regarded as one of the most important and influential stand-up comedians of all time: Jerry Seinfeld called Pryor "The Picasso of our profession" and Bob Newhart heralded Pryor as "the seminal comedian of the last 50 years". Dave Chappelle said of Pryor, "You know those, like, evolution charts of man? He was the dude walking upright. Richard was the highest evolution of comedy." This legacy can be attributed, in part, to the unusual degree of intimacy Pryor brought to bear on his comedy. As Bill Cosby reportedly once said, "Richard Pryor drew the line between comedy and tragedy as thin as one could possibly paint it."
- Lived: Dec 01, 1940 - Dec 10, 2005 (age 65)
- Height: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
- Spouse: Jennifer Lee (m. 2001 - 2005) · Flynn Belaine (m. 1990 - 1991) · Flynn Belaine(m. 1986 - 1987) · Jennifer Lee (m. 1981 - 1982) · Deborah McGuire (m. 1977 - 1978) · Shelley R. Bonus (m. 1968 - 1969) · Patricia Price (m. 1960 - 1961)
- Partner: Pam Grier (1976 - 1979)
- Children: Renee Pryor (Daughter) · Rain Pryor (Daughter) · Richard Pryor Jr. (Son)
- Parents: LeRoy Pryor (Father) · Gertrude L. Thomas (Mother)