Today, we’re hovering over one of the most beautiful villages in France, Turenne and its medieval castle walls. This historic centre was built on a steep and strategically important hill, at a regional crossroads in the heart of France, in what is now the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region. Here at the intersection of trade and religious routes, Turenne became the capital of a prosperous area run by feudal lords. Up until the 18th century, the village minted its own currency and raised its own troops and largely was independent of the monarch. However, that all came to an end when it was sold in 1738 to Louis XV, to pay the gambling debts of the last of the Viscounts of La Tour d’Auvergne, Charles Godfrey.