Skip to content

Bluegrove, Texas

Bluegrove is an unincorporated community on Farm to Market Road 172 11 miles southeast of Henrietta in central Clay County, Texas, Unite…
Bluegrove is an unincorporated community on Farm to Market Road 172 11 miles southeast of Henrietta in central Clay County, Texas, United States. Early settlers named the area for the post oak trees that appeared blue from a distance at certain times of the day. The Bluegrove Baptist Church was established in 1878 by families living in the area around what would become the town, and is the oldest permanent Baptist church in Wichita, Archer, and Clay Counties. The church originally met in the school before constructing a church building at its present location in 1893. J.L. Russell was among the earliest settlers before there was a town, homesteading a mile south of the present day community. He was a founder of the Bluegrove Baptist Church, and donated the northeast corner of his land for the creation of the Bluegrove Cemetery, one mile due south of the community. Bluegrove also had a Methodist church and Church of Christ, which have since disbanded. The Bluegrove Community Center, which houses numerous historical photographs, is located in the old Methodist Church.

Events

See all

Suggested Itineraries

Data from: Wikipedia