Skip to content

Littleport, Iowa

Littleport is an unincorporated community and former city in Clayton County, Iowa, United States. After the Volga River flood of May 16, 1…
Littleport is an unincorporated community and former city in Clayton County, Iowa, United States. After the Volga River flood of May 16, 1999, much of the town was destroyed and most residents moved away. At the 2000 Census, there were 26 residents. As of the 1960 Census, there had been 119 residents. There had been 139 people in 1950 and more than 200 people in 1916. The town was laid out in 1857 by Dennis Quigley and platted on May 21, 1860, but remained of little importance until the coming of the railroad in 1874. The town was not officially incorporated until 1907. Around this time, it had three general stores, a bank, blacksmith shop, Catholic church, German Lutheran church, an independent school district and a creamery. Somewhat later, it also had two taverns. It was officially disincorporated in 2005.

Events

See all

Suggested Itineraries

Data from: Wikipedia